Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hello World,

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. My life has been rather insane over the last two weeks. I guess doing summer classes tends to do that to you though.

My first course finished up last week (finally). It was a little trying, I'm not going to lie. The material wasn't too difficult, but the professor was a little hard for me to understand some times. Her style of teaching just really didn't fit me well. C'est la vie!

Last Friday I started my second class at the university of Caen. And, I get free internet!!! and I almost didn't bring my laptop... This second class is half phonetics and half conversation. It has a lot of presentations and such (which are rather intimidating - especially in French). It also has a lot of really fun phonetics labs though. I've always loved phonetics, so its quite enjoyable for me :). The prof for this class is amazing too. He's a very natural teacher.

Last Sunday me and my room mates spent the whole day at McDonalds beceause they are the only place around with free WiFi. People in France don't ever feel bad about taking a table for the whole day either, so we didn't have to worry about the fact that we were there for six hours. Sad thing - the French Fries in France kinda suck ;). But the rest was awesome. It was kinda nice to eat wonderful terrible for your health north american food again. Somebody special also managed to crawl out of bed at 5:30 to talk to me for a few hours ;).

D-Day was pretty neat. We got to go to three of the beaches and see all the memorials etc. It's very strange to look out over our beach and think of it being invaded instead of people suntanning on it. There are bunkers every km or so though, so its not too hard to imagine. Because Obama locked down every American beach in the area on D-Day we got to go to the Canadian memorial ceremony. It was really neet. Steven Harper was there and he spoke. It was really neat. Despite the fact that we sat on bleachers in the rain for 4 hours ;).

We went to Omaha beach and the American Cemetray, etc the day after. And it rained. It was a very rainy weekend, which I suppose is appropriate. It was just really neat to be in Normandy for everything. I really enjoyed it.

Ok, time for class. Enjoy NA for me :)

2 comments:

  1. hey eryn
    i'm glad you finally updated
    andi

    ps. i have a blog- bubbles-rock@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eryn
    I finally read your blog! I would love to see your pictures sometime. I suppose I could check facebook though, eh?

    ReplyDelete